[R] graphics useRaster check_irregular definition for date or posix

Paul Murrell p@u| @end|ng |rom @t@t@@uck|@nd@@c@nz
Fri Apr 16 05:54:34 CEST 2021

Hi

On 15/04/21 7:27 pm, cdanek using posteo.de wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> Thanks for the FAQs related to the unwanted white lines. However, even
> if it is just the png/pdf viewer that causes the white lines, I would
> like to try to avoid them as much as possible, and setting useRaster to
> true does that.

Sure.  Fair enough.

> My wish would be that I can use a date or POSIX* vector as x and/or y
> axis as it is without using some numerical values instead and then
> always need to take special care for the corresponding labels.
> Particularly for date/POSIX* objects this can be annoying. So the axes
> or their labels are not my problem, I just need the useRaster true or
> false decision to be consistent.
>
> How do you deduce that the diff of the midpoints (i.e. the modifided x)
> is not "regular"? This, again, will be decided later in image.default()
> by check_irregular(), what brings us back to my initial post?

The problem is that the modification of 'x' for midpoints makes the 'x'
irregular even if 'x' starts off as regular (when 'x' is a Date).

Paul

> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> Am 15.04.2021 03:26 schrieb Paul Murrell:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Feeding R-help back in, in case my suggestions might be of use to someone else ...
>>
>> Thanks for the examples - so the main benefit you are looking for is the labelling on the axes (date labels) ?
>>
>> If you are just trying to avoid the annoying white lines, it may just be your PNG/PDF viewer;  see ...
>>
>> http://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Why-are-there-unwanted-borders  <http://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Why-are-there-unwanted-borders>
>>
>> Even so, making this work for date values for x/y seems like a useful thing.  However, ...
>>
>> Neither your "fix" nor my "fix" actually works for the example that you have provided.  It just reveals another problem within image.default(), which is the calculation of "midpoints" ...
>>
>>      if (length(x) > 1 && length(x) == nrow(z)) { # midpoints
>>          dx <- 0.5*diff(x)
>>          x <- c(x[1L] - dx[1L], x[-length(x)] + dx,
>>                 x[length(x)] + dx[length(x)-1])
>>      }
>>
>> This calculation does NOT produce the desired result for "Date"s (the diff() of the resulting modified 'x' is no longer regular).
>>
>> So this needs a bit more thought - let me know if you come up with a fix for that calculation before me :)
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On 15/04/21 4:05 am,cdanek using posteo.de  <mailto:cdanek using posteo.de>  wrote:
>>> Hi Paul Thanks for your answer. I just answer to you, I dont know if
>>> this is correct (also the maillist?) x <- y <-
>>> seq(as.Date("2020-1-1"), as.Date("2020-12-31"), l=12) z <-
>>> array(rnorm(length(x)*length(y)), c(length(x), length(y))) image(x,
>>> y, z, useRaster=FALSE) # ok image(x, y, z, useRaster=TRUE) # error:
>>> 'useRaster = TRUE' can only be used with a regular grid x <- y <-
>>> seq_len(12) image(x, y, z, useRaster=FALSE) # ok image(x, y, z,

Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics
The University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019