[R] No "doc" directory in my installation of R.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Sun Aug 8 04:45:07 CEST 2021

Should/shouldn't there be one?

My R seems to be installed in /usr/lib/R.  If do an "ls" of this
directory, I get:

> bin/  COPYING@	etc/  lib/  library/  modules/
> site-library/  SVN-REVISION

Definitely no "doc".

The (only) reason that I am concerned about this, is that I have decided
to experiment a bit with Rstudio, and it apparently wants a "doc"
directory.  When I try to start Rstudio I get a pop-up window with the
error message

> R doc dir (/usr/local/lib64/R/doc) not found.

Note that /usr/local/lib64/R is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/R.
The latter is where my installation put R; the former seems to be where
Rstudio wants it to.  So I created the symbolic link.

The discrepancy between locations is another puzzle/worry.

My installation comes from a pre-built binary ("sudo apt install
r-base").  I apparently have the latest version.  I remark that I am
running Ubuntu 20.04 with a Mate 1.20.4 desktop.

How can I get a "doc" directory into my R directory and make Rstudio
happy?

cheers,

Rolf Turner

P.S. I have also tried to ask about this on the  Rstudio community
forum, but it seems to me to more of an R question than an Rstudio one.

R. T.

--
Honorary Research Fellow
Department of Statistics