[R] No "doc" directory in my installation of R.

John Kane jrkr|de@u @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Aug 8 14:51:16 CEST 2021

R version 4.1.0 (2021-05-18)
RStudio 1.4.1714
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

I do not see a doc folder at R level but a lot of newer packages,
probably tidyverse derived seem to have a doc sub-folder containing
documentation files

For example corrplot has a doc subfolder containing
corrplot-intro.html
corrplot-intro.R
corrplot-intro.Rmd
index.html

Jim Lemon's suggestion seems worth trying but I really think this is
some RStudio weirdity. I have been using RStudio for 3-4 years and a
several complete installations on new machines and tave never seen
anything like "R doc dir (/usr/local/lib64/R/doc) not found".

RStudio keeps getting tweaked.

On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 at 00:30, Jim Lemon <drjimlemon using gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rolf,
> What about:
>
> mkdir /usr/lib/R/doc
>
> Jim
>
> On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 12:45 PM Rolf Turner <r.turner using auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> >

> > Should/shouldn't there be one?
> >
> > My R seems to be installed in /usr/lib/R.  If do an "ls" of this
> > directory, I get:
> >
> > > bin/  COPYING@        etc/  lib/  library/  modules/
> > > site-library/  SVN-REVISION
> >
> > Definitely no "doc".
> >
> > The (only) reason that I am concerned about this, is that I have decided
> > to experiment a bit with Rstudio, and it apparently wants a "doc"
> > directory.  When I try to start Rstudio I get a pop-up window with the
> > error message
> >
> > > R doc dir (/usr/local/lib64/R/doc) not found.
> >
> > Note that /usr/local/lib64/R is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/R.
> > The latter is where my installation put R; the former seems to be where
> > Rstudio wants it to.  So I created the symbolic link.
> >
> > The discrepancy between locations is another puzzle/worry.
> >
> > My installation comes from a pre-built binary ("sudo apt install
> > r-base").  I apparently have the latest version.  I remark that I am
> > running Ubuntu 20.04 with a Mate 1.20.4 desktop.
> >
> > How can I get a "doc" directory into my R directory and make Rstudio
> > happy?
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > Rolf Turner
> >
> > P.S. I have also tried to ask about this on the  Rstudio community
> > forum, but it seems to me to more of an R question than an Rstudio one.
> >
> > R. T.
> >
> > --
> > Honorary Research Fellow
> > Department of Statistics