[R] Help needed in double bar plot made using ggplot2

Thu Aug 19 20:07:35 CEST 2021

Hello,

First, sample data.

set.seed(2021)
year <- rep(2016:2019, 2)
percentage <- runif(length(year), 0.25, 0.70)
gender <- rep(c("M", "F"), each = 4)
graph_text <- data.frame(year, percentage, gender)

1) You have expand = c(0,0). Like this there is no space above the
greatest bar. In order to make room, change to limits = c(0, ymax + 10
percent).

2) Make the width of the bars larger, position_dodge(width = 0.9)

3) Assign a aesthetic color in geom_text, if you want the bars and text
colors to be the same, assign a value outside aes() if you want only one
color for the text. See at the end.

4) Not asked but I use scales::percent to make the percentages
automatic. Change back to your code if not needed.

ymax <- max(graph_text$percentage)

ggplot(aes(x=year, y=percentage, group=gender, fill=gender), data =
graph_text)+
   geom_bar(position = 'dodge', stat='identity')+
   geom_text(
     aes(label = scales::percent(percentage, accuracy = 0.1), color =
gender),
     position = position_dodge(width = 0.9),
     size = 5,
     vjust = 0
   )+
   scale_y_continuous(
     limits = c(0, 1.1*ymax),
     labels = scales::percent
   )+
   theme_classic()

The following geom_text will change the text labels color to red.

   geom_text(
     aes(label = scales::percent(percentage, accuracy = 0.1)),
     position = position_dodge(width = 0.9),
     #
     color = "red",
     #