[R] A technical question on methods for "+"

Thu Dec 2 21:22:59 CET 2021

"This is because + dispatches on the class attribute, which a string
like "test" has set to NULL"
Not true.

> class('test')
[1] "character"

But apparently, as Denes and Jeff said, the class must be explicitly
set, rather than relying on its built-in/implicit type.

With the above hint, I looked up what ?class had to say. It is:

"Note that for objects x of an implicit (or an S4) class, when a (S3)
generic function foo(x) is called, method dispatch may use more
classes than are returned by class(x), e.g., for a numeric matrix, the
foo.numeric() method may apply. The exact full character vector of the
classes which UseMethod() uses, is available as .class2(x) since R
version 4.0.0. (This also applies to S4 objects when S3 dispatch is
considered, see below.)"

I think this is the "official" explanation, but I find it rather opaque.

Thanks to all for your Help in finding the explanation. Much appreciated.

Bert