[R] Puzzled about loading the Rattle interface package...

Brian Lunergan ||809 @end|ng |rom nc|@c@
Tue Dec 7 01:33:25 CET 2021

Evening folks:

Hope I'm in the right place to ask this.

Running R 4.1.2 on Linux Mint 19.3. I do have R Commander and R Studio
in place and working, so I'm not without choices for a GUI to use R.
However, I wanted to try out the Rattle interface.

The package installs OK, but it apparently needs the RGtk2 package to
run its graphic state. When I try to install that package I get the
following:

> install.packages("RGtk2")
Installing package into ‘/home/brian/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.1’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://cloud.r-project.org/src/contrib/RGtk2_2.20.36.2.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 2792234 bytes (2.7 MB)
downloaded 2.7 MB

* installing *source* package ‘RGtk2’ ...
** package ‘RGtk2’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
** using staged installation
checking for INTROSPECTION... no
checking for GTK... no
configure: error: GTK version 2.8.0 required
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RGtk2’
* removing ‘/home/brian/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.1/RGtk2’

The downloaded source packages are in
	‘/tmp/Rtmphfaxc3/downloaded_packages’
Warning message:
In install.packages("RGtk2") :
  installation of package ‘RGtk2’ had non-zero exit status

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to solve this. Any help would be
appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I'd be SOL for trying it out and fall
back to my existing two options.

Thanks...
--
Brian Lunergan