[R] Handling dependencies on Bioconductor packages for packages on CRAN

Martin Morgan mtmorg@n@b|oc @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Dec 7 23:23:25 CET 2021

One possibility is to make graph a Suggests: dependency, and preface any code using it (or, e.g., in an .onLoad function) with

  if (!requireNamespace("graph", quietly = TRUE))
    stop(
      "install the Bioconductor 'graph' package using these commands\n\n",
      ## standard Bioconductor package installation instructions
      "  if (!requireNamespace('BiocManager', quiety = TRUE))\n",
      "    install.packages('BiocManager')\n",
      "  BiocManager::install('graph')\n\n"
    )

Use graph:: for any function used in the graph package. The code could be simplified if BiocManager were an Imports: dependency of your package -- it would already be installed. The 'Suggests:' dependency would not cause problems with CRAN, because Suggest'ed packages are available when the package is built / checked.

The user experience of package installation would be 'non-standard' (didn't I just install gRbase??), so this is not an ideal solution.

Martin