[R] Adding SORT to UNIQUE

Mon Dec 20 19:11:08 CET 2021

Er, I suppose what was wrong was the absence of unique...

as.data.frame( lapply( dta, function(v) sort( unique( v, decreasing = TRUE ) ) ) )

I do think "better" involves value judgements as to whether using one of many specialized tools (tidyverse model) is better or worse than using a sequence of generally-useful tools (base R model). I daily build and re-use my own functions that create verbs for my solution "language"... but I don't necessarily import all of them into every project I use because namespace clutter has both performance and cognitive costs that I prefer to make explicit choices about.

There are real benefits in both sides of this debate, such as avoiding re-inventing the wheel and learning how the language works.

In any event, this is the R-help mailing list, and if there is a cool package that wraps up a tedious base R expression or code chunk then I would hope people would share it, but if possible also provide some equivalent base R code to stay on topic.