[R] md5sum issues

Ivan Calandra c@|@ndr@ @end|ng |rom rgzm@de
Tue Feb 2 17:01:05 CET 2021

Dear useRs,

I have some kind of a weird issue with md5sum() and I'm not sure where I
should start.

I have a repository on GitHub, with a local Git installation and
connected with RStudio.
I am working on Windows 10 and a colleague of mine works on Linux.
We both pull the latest commits of all files, but the checksums are
different.
Even stranger (to me at least), I get a different checksum from the
local file (downloaded through Git via pulling) and the same file that I
manually download from GitHub. The checksum of the manual download from
GitHub is the same as that of my colleague on Linux.
This happens to all text-based files (Rmd, MD, CSV...) but not to
non-editable files (PDF, XLSX...).

For example (I have shortened the paths):
 > library(tools)

 > md5sum(file.choose()) # local repo
D:\\...\\SSFAcomparisonPaper\\README.md
"e3b08fc2ab8b3c8b57e681f862a77f32"

 > md5sum(file.choose()) # downloaded from GitHub
C:\\Users\\...\\Downloads\\README.md
"05fab51e18b962a9f3266c7b79016ce6"

 > md5sum(file.choose()) # local repo
D:\\...\\SSFAcomparisonPaper\\...\\SSFA_GuineaPigs_plot.pdf
"d9b331642bfd0d192e4eff5808b2a30f"

 > md5sum(file.choose()) # downloaded from GitHub
C:\\Users\\...\\Downloads\\SSFA_GuineaPigs_plot.pdf
"d9b331642bfd0d192e4eff5808b2a30f"

I am not sure whether it is an issue with the algorithm of md5sum(),
whether it's a R/RStudio/Git/GitHub/Windows issue, so I would be
grateful if you could help me sorting it out.

Thank you in advance,
Ivan

--

Dr. Ivan Calandra
TraCEr, laboratory for Traceology and Controlled Experiments