[R] Converting "day of year" to "year", "month" and "day"

Bill Dunlap w||||@mwdun|@p @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jan 15 20:20:16 CET 2021

Use one of the POSIXt classes, POSIXct or POSIXlt, instead of the Date
class.
They have more methods for doing arithmetic.  E.g.,

> dates <- as.POSIXct(tz="UTC", c("2004-03-01", "2005-03-01"))
> difftime(dates, trunc(dates, units="year"), units="days") # add 1 if you
want YYYY-01-01 to be day 1 instead of day 0
Time differences in days
[1] 60 59

There are packages like 'zoo' that make many time/date operations simpler,
but the above
works with core R.

-Bill