[R] Why is rm(list=ls()) bad practice?

J C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jan 22 16:37:37 CET 2021

Thanks Duncan for a clear argument about the "why".

The suggestion of R --vanilla started a train of thought that one could do something like

 clearws <- function(){ # Try to clear workspace
   tmp <- readline("Are you sure you want to clear the workspace? ")
   print(tmp)
   if ( substr(toupper(tmp),1,1) != "Y" ){
       return(0)
   }
   #  rm(tmp)
   tgt<-parent.env(environment())
   print(ls(tgt))
   rm(list = ls(tgt, all.names = TRUE),envir=tgt) #will clear all objects includes hidden objects.
   gc() #free up memrory and report the memory usage.
   # What should we return?
   # Can we offer interactive control?
   # How about packages?
 }

and call clearws() at the start of an example.

Contact me off-list if you have suggestions for improving this. I'd like to be able to preface
examples with such a function that would render the session "vanilla" but from inside. That means
removing packages that might have altered / replaced / masked standard functions. That might not
be possible, but the idea is attractive to me as someone who mostly uses R in tests of tools that
get used by others.

Best, JN