[R] Puzzled over "partial"

Andrew Simmons @kw@|mmo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jul 26 14:58:35 CEST 2021

Hello,

First, your statement can be re-written as

sort(x,partial=p)[p]

since n - (n - p) is p. Second, you need to look at

?sort

And look at section "Arguments" subsection "partial", that should have the
details you're looking for. From what I understand, it guarantees that the
indices of "partial" will be sorted correctly, but all others won't, so
this saves time for things like "median". I hope this helps!