[R] Read fst files

Jeff Reichman re|chm@nj @end|ng |rom @bcg|ob@|@net
Wed Jun 9 20:26:34 CEST 2021

Jan

Makes sense. Its just that I often receive  large zip files that contain a variety of file types.

Jef

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Jan van der Laan
Sent: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 12:56 PM
To: r-help using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Read fst files

read_fst is from the package fst. The fileformat fst uses is a binary
format designed to be fast readable. It is a column  oriented format and
compressed. So, to be able to work fst needs access to the file itself
and wont accept a file connection as functions like read.table an
variants accept.

Also, because it is a binary compressed format using a compression
method that is fast to read, compressing also to zip seems to defeat the
purpose of fst.

HTH,
Jan