[R] question re: tidycensus

Milton O Faison MF@|@on @end|ng |rom v@u@edu
Fri Jun 11 17:03:49 CEST 2021

Hi, all,

I'm having a new (for me) problem with tidycensus. When I attempt to pull data at the zcta level using get_acs, I get "GEOMETRYCOLLECTION EMPTY" in the geometry column. It does not happen when I pull data at the census tract level. This is also a fairly new problem, because I was using old code that I wrote and successfully generated maps from in the past. Any thoughts? Here are some code snippets that you can run to see what I am talking about:

zcta_test<-get_acs(geography="zcta",
                       variables=(c(all_pop = "B03002_001",
                                    white_pop = "B03002_003",
                                    black_pop = "B03002_004",
                                    latin_pop = "B03002_012")),
                       geometry=T, cache=T )

ct_test<-get_acs(geography="tract", state="51",
                 variables=(c(all_pop = "B03002_001",
                              white_pop = "B03002_003",
                              black_pop = "B03002_004",
                              latin_pop = "B03002_012")),
                 geometry=T, cache=T )

M. Omar Faison, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Biology
Associate Vice President, Research, Economic Development, and Graduate Studies
Virginia State University
Petersburg, VA 23806
(804) 524-6793
http://twitter.com/omarfaison<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__twitter.com_omarfaison&d=DwMFaQ&c=x0kF_uL9Aj8Nho9NV_Y5N0VRgus3JhNu4ET-UrQfa2c&r=IxtcqU8MuUxaq7uVsaxQkg&m=c2Jz-ZN8dT7jr1ymvzj06YmlEcGQKIlxGcJ241xeVvc&s=9hWiMv7VHiP6W763kVu0J8RpEijbsKpHXY9CDrs7buc&e=>
At VSU, we are proudly committed to providing a transformative experience for our students, strategically investing in our academic programs, embracing our position as a top Land Grant University, embracing our role as Virginia's Opportunity University, and partnering together as a University to tell our story.

"The information in this email and any attachments may be confidential and privileged. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient (or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this information to the intended recipient) please notify the sender by reply email and immediately delete this email and any copies from your computer and/or storage system. The sender does not authorize the use, distribution, disclosure or reproduction of this email (or any part of its contents) by anyone other than the intended recipient(s). No representation is made that this email and any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the recipient."

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]