[R] covert categoral data into number

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Sun Jun 13 18:19:00 CEST 2021

JL,

There are many ways to do what you want. If you need to do it by yourself
using standard R, there are ways but if you are allowed to use packages,
like the forcats package in the tidyverse, it can be fairly simple. Here for
example is a way to convert a factor with the four levels you mention but
requires them to be character strings, so I converted it:

> library(forcats)
> orig <- factor(as.character(c(1:4, 4:1)))
> orig
[1] 1 2 3 4 4 3 2 1
Levels: 1 2 3 4
> changed <-  fct_recode(orig, bottom = "1", middle = "2", high = "3", top =
"4")
> changed
[1] bottom middle high   top    top    high   middle bottom
Levels: bottom middle high top

The fct_recode line can also be used with explicit strings, needed if you
have things like embedded spaces:

changed <-  fct_recode(orig,
                       "bottom" = "1",
                       "middle" = "2",
                       "high" = "3",
                       "top" = "4")

To make the changes yourself may require studying other things like how to
make substitutions  using regular expressions.