[R] about a p-value < 2.2e-16

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Fri Mar 19 06:05:06 CET 2021

       I would push back on that from two perspectives:

             1.  I would study exactly what the journal said very
carefully.  If they mandated "wilcox.test", that function has an
argument called "exact".  If that's what they are asking, then using
that argument gives the exact p-value, e.g.:

 > wilcox.test(rnorm(100), rnorm(100, 2), exact=TRUE)

         Wilcoxon rank sum exact test

data:  rnorm(100) and rnorm(100, 2)
W = 691, p-value < 2.2e-16

             2.  If that's NOT what they are asking, then I'm not
convinced what they are asking makes sense:  There is is no such thing
as an "exact p value" except to the extent that certain assumptions
hold, and all models are wrong (but some are useful), as George Box
famously said years ago.[1]  Truth only exists in mathematics, and
that's because it's a fiction to start with ;-)

       Hope this helps.
       Spencer Graves

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_models_are_wrong