[R] Including a ggplot call with a conditional geom in a function

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Thu Mar 25 03:41:25 CET 2021

This may not be the right place to ask about ggplot which is part of
packages but are you aware how ggplot works additively?

You can say something like:

P <- ggplot(...) ... + ...

Then later say:

P <- p + geom_...()

And so on.

So if you set al the layers you want first into a variable like p, then in
an if statement you selectively add in one or another layer and finally add
in all remaining layers before printing it, would that simply meet your
need?

Realistically, ggplot creates a data structure and the PLUS of other layers
updates or expands that structure but nothing happens till you print it and
it evaluates the data structure.