[R] by group

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Tue Nov 2 02:04:28 CET 2021

That works, Bert. I do note the result, d, is a matrix and works because everything within it is numeric. I have no problem with that for this problem.

For a more general problem with a data.frame type of object with columns of any type, the proper output might better be a data.frame. Of course, in this case, the matric can easily be coerced back into a data.frame:

d <- as.data.frame(with(dat, tapply(wt, list(Year, Sex), mean)))

F        M

2001 12.00000 15.00000

2002 13.33333 16.33333

2003 12.00000 15.00000

str(d)

'data.frame':      3 obs. of  2 variables:

  $ F: num  12 13.3 12

$ M: num  15 16.3 15