[R] Date

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Fri Nov 5 00:25:37 CET 2021

	  My speculation is that Microsoft Excel recognized that as a date and
saved it in the "mm/dd/YYYY" format you saw when reading it into R with
dat=read.csv("myfile.csv").

	  "str" told you the format.  You can convert that from character to
Date using as.Date(dat$mydate, '%m/%d/%Y'), as documented in
help('as.Date').

NOTE: The error message, "character string is not in a standard
unambiguous format" is almost appropriate:  In this case, it's clear
that "09/16/2019" refers to month 09, day 16, and year 2019.  However,
if it were "09/06/2019", we would not know if it were September 6 or 9
June of 2019.  If it were  "09/06/08", we would have the added
possibility with the year first, followed by month and day:  June 8,
2009.  This ambiguity is resolved most forcefully by ISO 8601.

	  Hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves