[R] I'd like to request that my R CRAN package is not tested on Solaris OS

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Fri Oct 22 15:47:05 CEST 2021

Hi,

Just to add some additional comments that may be helpful.

1. The CRAN repository policy here:

   https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html

notes:

"Package authors should make all reasonable efforts to provide
cross-platform portable code. Packages will not normally be accepted
that do not run on at least two of the major R platforms. Cases for
Windows-only packages will be considered, but CRAN may not be the most
appropriate place to host them."

That would seem to infer that, with reasonable justification, one may be
able to make a request of the CRAN maintainers to exclude at least one
of the OS platforms from testing. A request that would be at the
discretion of the CRAN maintainers and Solaris, in light of the low
market prevalence, may be a more common exclusion as you have noted below.

2. If you wish to test your package on Solaris, in the absence of using
a VM, there is a blog post here:

   https://blog.r-hub.io/2020/05/14/checking-your-r-package-on-solaris/

that you may find helpful.

Eric has suggested posting to r-package-devel, and I would agree in
terms of a larger and focused R package development audience. Albeit,
you would eventually need to make a direct request to the CRAN
maintainers (CRAN using R-project.org) to exclude Solaris from testing.

You have specified a deadline below which is only 5 days away, and not
likely a reasonable constraint, given the volunteer service nature of
the folks that maintain CRAN. I would suggest that you contact them
using the e-mail address above, without the deadline, and afford them
the opportunity to reply to you with what may be reasonable next steps
given the issues you face.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz