[R] R code in RData

Wed Oct 27 20:43:08 CEST 2021

Sounds right, though the OP appears to be assuming that the code used to generate the data objects in the file will also be there, and we need to be more definitive about that: it is not. Depending how the code was constructed, there may be useful information in the functions that were stored in the environment from which the save file was created, but this is not in any way guaranteed to be useful. In particular, there is no trace IN the RData file of which packages need to be loaded in order to access the objects stored in that RData file.

This is one of the reasons depending on RData files for archiving work is not advisable... and why putting code in R scripts or Sweave/knitr-based literate programming files IS recommended.