[R] Error msg trying to load R Commander with an older R edition...

Mon Sep 13 22:12:21 CEST 2021

On 13/09/2021 9:33 a.m., Brian Lunergan wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I'm running Linux Mint 19.3 on my machine. Tried to install a more
> recent edition of R but I couldn't seem to get it working so I pulled it
> off and went with a good, basic install of the edition available through
> the software manager. So... I'm running version 3.4.4.
>
> Mucking about with the attempt at a newer edition seems to have left
> some excess baggage behind. When I loaded R Commander and attempted to
> run it I received the following error message.
>
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘car’ in readRDS(pfile):
>   cannot read workspace version 3 written by R 3.6.2; need R 3.5.0 or newer
> During startup - Warning message:
> package ‘Rcmdr’ in options("defaultPackages") was not found

That likely means you still have some files from the newer R in your
package library.  To find where your library is stored, run .libPaths().
  Then look in that directory and remove the "car" directory.  You might
want to also remove anything else that was installed before you
installed R 3.4.4, because all the old dirs in there will cause you trouble.

Duncan Murdoch