[R] Improvement: function cut

Andrew Simmons @kw@|mmo @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Sep 18 00:14:02 CEST 2021

While it is not explicitly mentioned anywhere in the documentation for
.bincode, I suspect 'include.lowest = FALSE' is the default to keep the
definitions of the bins consistent. For example:

x <- 0:20
breaks1 <- seq.int(0, 16, 4)
breaks2 <- seq.int(0, 20, 4)
cbind(
    .bincode(x, breaks1, right = FALSE, include.lowest = TRUE),
    .bincode(x, breaks2, right = FALSE, include.lowest = TRUE)
)

by having 'include.lowest = TRUE' with different ends, you can get
inconsistent behaviour. While this probably wouldn't be an issue with
'real' data, this would seem like something you'd want to avoid by default.
The definitions of the bins are

[0, 4)
[4, 8)
[8, 12)
[12, 16]

and

[0, 4)
[4, 8)
[8, 12)
[12, 16)
[16, 20]

so you can see where the inconsistent behaviour comes from. You might be
able to get R-core to add argument 'warn', but probably not to change the
default of 'include.lowest'. I hope this helps