[R] Reading File Sizes: very slow!

Leonard Mada |eo@m@d@ @end|ng |rom @yon|c@eu
Sun Sep 26 15:03:06 CEST 2021

Dear Bill,

- using the Ms Windows Properties: ~ 15 s;

[Windows new start, 1st operation, bulk size]

- using R / file.info() (2nd operation): still 523.6 s

[and R seems mostly unresponsive during this time]

Unfortunately, I do not know how to clear any cache.

[The cache may play a role only for smaller sizes? But I am rather not
inclined to run the ~ 10 minutes procedure multiple times.]

Sincerely,

Leonard

On 9/26/2021 5:49 AM, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> On a $150 second-hand laptop with 0.9GB of library,
> and a single-user installation of R so only one place to look
> LIBRARY=$HOME/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/4.0
> cd $LIBRARY
> echo "kbytes package"
> du -sk * | sort -k1n
>
> took 150 msec to report the disc space needed for every package.
>
> That'
>
> On Sun, 26 Sept 2021 at 06:14, Bill Dunlap <williamwdunlap using gmail.com> wrote:
>> On my Windows 10 laptop I see evidence of the operating system caching
>> information about recently accessed files.  This makes it hard to say how
>> the speed might be improved.  Is there a way to clear this cache?
>>
>>> system.time(L1 <- size.f.pkg(R.home("library")))
>>     user  system elapsed
>>     0.48    2.81   30.42
>>> system.time(L2 <- size.f.pkg(R.home("library")))
>>     user  system elapsed
>>     0.35    1.10    1.43
>>> identical(L1,L2)
>> [1] TRUE
>>> length(L1)
>> [1] 30
>>> length(dir(R.home("library"),recursive=TRUE))
>> [1] 12949
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 8:12 AM Leonard Mada via R-help <
>> r-help using r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear List Members,
>>>

>>> I tried to compute the file sizes of each installed package and the
>>> process is terribly slow.
>>>
>>> It took ~ 10 minutes for 512 packages / 1.6 GB total size of files.
>>>

>>> 1.) Package Sizes
>>>

>>> system.time({
>>>           x = size.pkg(file=NULL);
>>> })
>>> # elapsed time: 509 s !!!
>>> # 512 Packages; 1.64 GB;
>>> # R 4.1.1 on MS Windows 10
>>>

>>> The code for the size.pkg() function is below and the latest version is
>>> on Github:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/discoleo/R/blob/master/Stat/Tools.CRAN.R
>>>

>>> Questions:
>>> Is there a way to get the file size faster?
>>> It takes long on Windows as well, but of the order of 10-20 s, not 10
>>> minutes.
>>> Do I miss something?
>>>

>>> 1.b.) Alternative
>>>
>>> It came to my mind to read first all file sizes and then use tapply or
>>> aggregate - but I do not see why it should be faster.
>>>
>>> Would it be meaningful to benchmark each individual package?
>>>
>>> Although I am not very inclined to wait 10 minutes for each new try out.
>>>

>>> 2.) Big Packages
>>>
>>> Just as a note: there are a few very large packages (in my list of 512
>>> packages):
>>>
>>> 1  123,566,287               BH
>>> 2  113,578,391               sf
>>> 3  112,252,652            rgdal