[R] How to install package meta on Linux Ubuntu 21?,

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Thu Sep 30 06:12:04 CEST 2021

On 9/29/21 8:04 PM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> This is called hijacking a thread. Bad etiquette.
>
> You need to pay attention to column types and NA values. Only do regular expression manipulations on character data, and NA is never something you can do string operations on.

To Giuseppa;

When you see the characters <NA> without any surrounding quotes they are
not really character values, but rather how the print function displays
a missing value for a factor column. You cannot "eliminate it". In a
very real sense it has already been "eliminated".

Read up on missing value handling at:

?NA... although that aspect is not mentioned at the help page (although
it should be. Look at this console session fragment:

 > factor(NA)
[1] <NA>          # factor missing values get the extra angle brackets.
Levels:
 > NA
[1] NA
 > char <- c("a", "NA", NA)
 > char
[1] "a"  "NA" NA    # note that a character value of "NA" has quotes but
a real missing value has none.

--

David.