[R] binom.test & p-value

Sigbert Klinke @|gbert @end|ng |rom w|w|@hu-ber||n@de
Sun Apr 3 20:00:31 CEST 2022

Hi,

for the specific example binom.test(x=6, n=26, p=0.1) I get as p-value
0.03986. The default approach to decide whether I can reject the null or
or not is to compare the p-value with the given significance level.
Using a significance level of 0.05 this will lead to reject the null
hypothesis.

However, computing things by hand it turned out that the critical values
are 0 and 6. Since the test statistic is also 6 I can not reject the
null hypothesis.

I found the discussion under
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2009-February/380341.html and I
understand that a p-value is not well defined if we have a asymmmetric
(discrete) distribution under the null.

At least I would have expected some hint in the documentation for
binom.test.

Sigbert

--
https://hu.berlin/sk