[R] lattice question

Thu Aug 11 04:02:16 CEST 2022

It is unclear to me how you wish to define and distinguish groups.
Assuming you wish to have separate lines for the interaction as
Deepayan showed, but want the colors (or line types or both) to differ
only by by the "name" factor, then is this what you want?

trellis.par.set(superpose.line = list(lty = 1:6)) ## or other line
types you create
u.names <- unique(mydf.long$name)
xyplot(X ~ date, groups = interaction(name,G), data = mydf.long,
       type = c("l","g"),
       col.line = trellis.par.get("superpose.line")$col[
          seq_along(u.names)],
       lty =  trellis.par.get("superpose.line")$lty[
          seq_along(u.names)]
)

Notes:
1. If this is not what you want, I give up. Others may have better insight.
2. If this is what you want, Deepayan may be able to provide you a
nicer way to do it.
3. If you have more different names than 6 or 7, then you may have to
add more line types or colors to the superpose.line settings. Though I
would think the plot would be pretty much a mess, if so.

Bert