[R] Getting minimum value of a column according a factor column of a dataframe

@vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Thu Aug 25 23:50:45 CEST 2022

The requirements keep being clarified and it would have been very useful to know more in advance.

To be clear. My earlier suggestion was based on JUST wanting the minimum for each unique version of Code. Then you wanted it in the original order so that was handled by carefully making that a factor column in the order you wanted the output. Now the request is to throw back in ALL the columns for as many rows as are deemed minimums.

So, not in any way demeaning the various methods others offer, I suggest you look at database style joins. R has some in the core with names like merge() and other packages such as dplyr have all kinds of variations on a theme.

In my case, you can extend the part of my code that makes this as a second data.frame/tibble:

   Code  minQ

1 41003 0.160

2 88888 0.160

3 41005 0.210

4 41009 0.218

5 41017 0.240

Call it df2 as in:

mydf.min <-

  mydf %>%

  group_by(Code) %>%

  summarize(minQ = min(Q))

You now have the original thing I called mydf that has a column called Code and lots of other columns and you have a smaller one with fewer rows and columns called mydf.min and they share a single common column.

You want to merge these two using whatever kind of join makes sense. Dplyr offers an inner_join(), left_join(), right_join() and full_join() and you can tweak merge() and others to do similar things.

What you seem to want is to find all rows that share both a particular value for Code and at the same time a particular value for minQ in one versus Q in the other. You want to ignore all others.  What gets returned can have all the original columns and perhaps also the minQ column (which can be removed) and if two or more rows in one grouping share exactly the same minimum, may get slightly similar but different lines matched. Is that what you want? Do note matching floating point equally can be dangerous but in this case since the numbers were all just read in, should be fine.

You can play with it but I tried this:

test <- left_join(mydf.min, mydf, by=c("Code", "minQ" = "Q"))

The values returned (and not I added an 88888 category earlier in my data) look like this:

Code  minQ  Y  M  D    N    O

1 41003 0.160 81  1 19 7.17 2.50

2 88888 0.160 81  1 19 7.17 2.50

3 41005 0.210 79  8 17 5.50 7.20

4 41005 0.210 80 10 30 6.84 2.60

5 41005 0.210 80 12 20 6.84 2.40

6 41009 0.218 79  2 21 5.56 4.04

7 41009 0.218 79  5 27 6.40 3.12

8 41017 0.240 79 10 20 5.30 7.10

9 41017 0.240 80  7 30 6.73 2.60

You can see there are three minimum rows for Code 41005 for example and the join keeps them all.

You can trivially remove the minQ column by naming the original as Q or just removing it. You can again reorder things if you wish including by sorting on other columns ascending or descending using other functions/verbs.

As noted, this has to work for you with your larger code set and sometimes complex enough such requirements can be done many ways as it can be as much art as science. I personally would probably write most of the above as one long pipeline looking a bit like:

mydf <-

  read.table(…) %>%

  mutate(Code=factor(..., levels=unique(...)))

result <-

  mydf %>%

  group_by(Code) %>%

  summarize(...) %>%

  left_join(mydf, by=c("Code", "minQ" = "Q")) %>%

  select(-minQ)

And of course it may be better to use the new R pipe operator if your version is new and so on, filling in whatever details make sense to you. At the end of the pipeline, you might want to use verbs that sort the data as described above.

My guess is you will now tell us about yet another condition suggestions like mine do not fulfill and I will likely then ignore …