[R] lattice: how to use a log scale on the x-axis with the bwplot function

Sat Dec 10 19:20:37 CET 2022

If Deepayan's suggestion does not suit and especially *if* I understand
what you want to do correctly, then it seems to me that it is
straightforward to create the groups and group labels manually:

## in verbose detail to hopefully improve clarity
set.seed(123)  ## for reprex
y <- runif(40,min=0, max= 10)  ##*small* reprex
## cut y into 5 equally spaced groups labeled by log10 of the center
## of the intervals
yrng <- range(y)
eps <- .0001*c(-1,1)*diff(yrng) ## see ?cut
yrng <-yrng + eps
delta <- diff(yrng)/5 # 5 = number of intervals
brks <- seq(yrng[1], yrng[2],length.out =6)
labs <- round(log10(brks[-1] - delta/2), 2) ## log10 (centers)
groups <- cut(y,breaks = brks,
              labels = paste0('10^',labs))
# creating the dataframe for the lattice functions
DF <- data.frame( y = y, groups = groups)

bwplot( y ~ groups
        , data=DF
        , scales = list(
           y = list(log=T)
        ),
)

## Of course, ignore if I have misunderstood.

Cheers,
Bert