[R] [Rd] I do not want that R CMD build removes temp directory

Witold E Wolski wewo|@k| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Dec 19 10:52:30 CET 2022

Dear Uwe,

Unfortunately there isn't much of an output. This is all what I have:

$ R CMD INSTALL --log prolfqua
Warning: unknown option '--log'
* installing to library 'C:/Users/witoldwolski/AppData/Local/R/win-library/4.2'
* installing *source* package 'prolfqua' ...
** using staged installation
** R
** data
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'prolfqua'
* removing 'C:/Users/witoldwolski/AppData/Local/R/win-library/4.2/prolfqua'

Also with --no-test-load option the install is failing :

$ R CMD INSTALL --clean --no-test-load prolfqua

* installing to library 'C:/Users/witoldwolski/AppData/Local/R/win-library/4.2'
* installing *source* package 'prolfqua' ...
** using staged installation
** R
** data
** inst
** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'prolfqua'
* removing 'C:/Users/witoldwolski/AppData/Local/R/win-library/4.2/prolfqua'

And including "--no-clean-on-error" also does not help because the
installation directory is empty.

Tested the install, on macos M1, linux ARM64, linux x86, Windows 64,
and it works everywhere except
Parallels Windows 64 on ARM M1.

R version 4.2.2 (2022-10-31 ucrt) -- "Innocent and Trusting"
Copyright (C) 2022 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

best regards
Witek

On Fri, 16 Dec 2022 at 11:24, Uwe Ligges
<ligges using statistik.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:

> On 15.12.2022 21:47, Witold E Wolski wrote:
> > Thank you Simon,
> >
> > It seems not to be related to the R package but rather to the OS,
> > (just got the same error when installing the shiny R package from
> > CRAN).
> > I am on an M1 mac running Windows ARM in Parallels. Installed a
> > x86_64-w64 R version.
> >

> > "** byte-compile and prepare package for lazy loading
> > ERROR: lazy loading failed for package 'shiny'
> > * removing 'C:/Users/witoldwolski/AppData/Local/R/win-library/4.2/shiny'
> > Warning in install.packages :"
>
> Can we please have the full output?
>
> Best,
> Uwe Ligges
>

> > On Thu, 15 Dec 2022 at 19:09, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes:
> >>
> >> $ R CMD INSTALL --help | grep error
> >>        --no-clean-on-error       do not remove installed package on error
> >>
> >> But probably more commonly used way is to install the package from its unpacked directory as that avoids the use of temporary directories in the first place.
> >>
> >> In you case you can also use --no-test-load and the non-functional package will still be installed so you can inspect it.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Simon
> >>
> >> PS: please don't cross-post

Witold Eryk Wolski