[R] Amazing AI

@vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com @vi@e@gross m@iii@g oii gm@ii@com
Tue Dec 20 07:00:40 CET 2022

Boris,

What you are telling us is not particularly new or spectacular in a sense.
It has often been hard to grade assignments students do when they choose an
unexpected path. I had one instructor who always graded my exams (in the
multiple courses I took with him) because unlike most of the sheep, I did
not bother memorizing the way something was done or proven and created my
own solutions on the fly during the test, often in ways he had to work hard
at following and that almost amused him as mine tended to be correct, albeit
not what he would have thought of.

Your issue is not particularly about R as similar scenarios can be found in
many languages and environments.

In programming, it is arguably worse as it is common to be able to do things
so many ways. But plain old R has so many packages available, often with
source code, that any student who finds one that does something they want,
may be able to copy and modify some of the functions involved into their own
code already and fool an evaluator into thinking they did it on their own.
That is a tad harder, as many packages improve the code efficiency by
(re)writing many parts in C/C++.

I have seen things like a GUI that lets you click on various check boxes and
other controls and then use those instructions to read in data files, do
various operations on them, and provide output. Some allow quite a bit of
functionality and also offer you the opportunity to see the R code it
generates, and let you adjust that if it does not quite meet your needs.
Much of it involves including various packages and calling functions in
them, but if your students are allowed to use such things, how would you
know how little actual work they did?

I echo what someone else wrote. Training students for their future jobs in
an uncertain and changing future, may be more effective in teaching them how
to find ever better or different ways to get things done, or even switch to
growing areas near their field.  All kinds of automation of jobs are
happening and will continue to happen in the knowledge professions. People
who read manuals cover to cover and keep consulting them constantly are a
rarity. Many people often first do web searches or consult experts including
online versions of the documentation. Many will happily use software that
lets them do more and more with fewer lines of code written by them and
especially when that software has been used and tested long enough to be
relatively free of bugs when used as directed. Why would anyone these days
want to constantly re-invent the wheel and write routines to read in data
from files using known formats when you can use ones that exist and, if
needed in special cases, make some tweaks such as converting a column it
made into integer, back into the floating point you want for some later
reason?

But if your students are using something that is error-prone when used the
way they are using it, that is a problem as they are not only not learning
some basics or techniques you want them to know, but relying on what may be
bad tools without taking the time and effort to check the result or make
their own tweaks. Such software may not provide a way to do something like
treat multiple entries of various kinds as being NA, as an example. So you
would need your own code to check the result between some steps and do your
own further conversions so that "." and "" and "NA" and "-" all become NA,
again, just a made up example.

Yes, some students will easily fool you when grading but that already
happens when someone hires out getting some work done and claims it as their
own.