[R] [External] Amazing AI

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Wed Dec 21 15:20:44 CET 2022

On 12/21/22 7:50 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> Next year one of my R programming assigments will read like this:
>
> "Here is some R code written by a multi-million dollar AI system to
> compute [something]. It doesn't work. Fix the bugs, then ask the AI to
> write a letter to its creators apologising for how rubbish it is at
> coding. Collect one million dollars."

You might want to be careful about such a promise.  Kahneman, Sibony,
and Sunstein (2021) Noise:  A flaw in human judgment (Little, Brown and
Company) claim that genuine expertise is acquired by learning from
frequent, rapid, high-quality feedback on the quality of their
decisions.  Few people have access to such feedback.  They call leaders
in fields without such feedback "respect-experts", and note that
respect-experts have only the illusion of competence.

	  1.  They further say that most respect-experts can be beaten by
simple heuristics developed by intelligent lay people.

	  2.  Moreover, with a modest amount of data, ordinary least squares
can beat most such heuristics.

	  3.  And if lots of data are available, AI can beat the simple
heuristics.

	  They provide substantial quantities of research to support those
claims.

	  Regarding your million dollars, it should not be hard to write an R
interface to existing AI code cited by Kahneman et al.

	  Do you really want one of your students initiating a legal procedure
to try to collect your million dollars?

	  A quarter century ago, my friend Soren Bisgaard told me about a
colleague who had raved about AI.  Soren thought, "You prefer artificial
intelligence to real intelligence?"

	  I perceive a role for AI in identifying subtle phenomena missed by
more understandable modeling techniques.  Let's use the best
understandable model, and apply AI to the residuals from that.  Then
identify the variables that make the largest contributions to a useful
AI model, and see if they can be added to the other model.

	  Spencer Graves