[R] Convert a character string to variable names

Sun Feb 13 07:54:48 CET 2022

Value is all the information in the object. In R, for pretty much everything except environment objects the two terms are interchangeable (object is equivalent to value) because R works hard to make it so.

For environment objects (the exception), the contents of the environment can change even while different variables continue to refer to the same environment object. This is how f(3) ends up as c(7,6) in the following code:

x <- c(3,4)
f <- function(a) x+a
x <- c(4,3)
f(3)

The f object knows to look in the global environment for x from when it was created, but the x name embedded in that environment was replaced with a different object by the time f was called. That is, x referred to an object containing a value c(3,4) first, and then later to a completely different location in memory (object identity) with a different value c(4,3). The same global environment object thus contained different information at different times, even though the identity (address) of the global environment object was never changed, so f could store that identity information for use later.

If you use read.csv to import a data set into a data frame and assign that to a variable name DF, all of that information represents the value of that data frame. If you change an element of the first column:

DF[1,1] <- 9

then R will only modify the value of that data frame object in place if no other variable is referring to it... that is, if you have passed DF to a function then it makes a whole new object when you try to change part of it in the function. But the details about changing parts of an object this way are mostly useful for avoiding inefficient memory use... while the fact that the value of an object consists of all of the information in it is useful from a statistical analysis point of view... different values in the large sense in general lead to different results. A specific example being that an lm object has a value based on the input objects that were used to create it.

See http://adv-r.had.co.nz/memory.html for a more complete discussion.

On February 12, 2022 7:24:18 PM PST, "Ebert,Timothy Aaron" <tebert using ufl.edu> wrote:
>How does “a value” differ from “an object?”

>>> r
>>> g_posting-2Dguide.html&d=DwICAg&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=9PEhQh2kVe