[R] Please guide

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Mon Jul 11 07:00:13 CEST 2022

I am sure if Jeff Newmiller is a Professor, he may well be respected but he has not said he is nor most of us. He specifically said the people here are random people with an interest in R. A few may indeed be professors or once taught  like I did ages ago but few of us relate particularly to be called an honorific and unlike in some cultures, many simply get a bit annoyed at such phrases and some move on and won't reply.

May I suggest that on this forum, we appreciate it is some asks a properly formatted question which shows attempts to solve the problem and supplies a minimum of details with NONE of the details in an attached file which we will not see even if sent repeatedly.

I think you may have received replies and have not followed through on them.

Let me try ONCE, and if a reply refers to me being a professor I will just press DELETE and go on with my life.

Your error message seems clear. It says that what you asked for has NO columns.

Did you type what it asked for IMMEDIATELY?

rlang::last_error()

The above might return MORE INFO and you have not shared that here. Is it possible it would have been helpful?

Now consider NOT running complex code in one long line when trying to see what failed. This line is too complex:

as.matrix(read_excel("DY_Table.xlsx")[,-1])*100

Try this:

temp <- read_excel("DY_Table.xlsx")

See what it returns If the file exists in the current directory/folder and is spelled exactly that way and has only one tab, maybe it does. But if that fails, DEBUG that before moving on. You need to look at temp and see if it is a valid data.frame.

So ONLY if it looks OK, do you move on to the next idea. What do you think temp[, -1] means? Your code seems to want all rows kept and I think the you want the FIRST column removed, leaving all the rest. Note if the data only has ONE column, you are left with no columns. If the data already is empty or nonsense,trying to do the [, -1] indexing will fail, perhaps with that complaint.
So, if the above still worked as in you typed head(temp[, -1]) then continue, else go FIX what you already have till it works.

You now seem to want to change a data.frame into a matrix. Note that will really only work if everything is numeric. I mean if it has any character data, everything will be character and probably not useful.
So these two lines let you examine:
temp <- temp[, -1]

temp <- as.matrix(temp)

Any error messages so far? I highly doubt the next line generates that message, but as noted, the contents better be numeric.

temp <- temp * 100

When you get all those steps working, feel free to resume your original code:

con      = as.matrix(read_excel("DY_Table.xlsx")[,-1])*100

Just FYI, although "=" is a legal use in that line, many people use "<-" when writing in R.

And note again, we have no idea what is in what you call a DATA file except that a file whose name ends in .XSLX is not what we think of as a data file. It is a newer format for an EXCEL SPREADSHEET as compared to a .CSV file that has simpler comma separated values in a text compatible file. To read data from EXCEL is much more complex and you may need to tell it which of the tabbed sheets to use and where in that sheet to look for data. It often makes a good guess of looking at the first sheet and if it finds what looks like columns of data and NOTHING ELSE on that sheet, brings it in. Chances are your data is not set up for that default and you have several options. One is to open the file in EXCEL and clean it so it fits, and another is to save a sheet, or a region, as a new .CSV file and change your code to use a function like read.csv() with appropriate options.

Again, politeness here is wasted and volunteers have no obligation to you. If the above is helpful, great. If not,so be it. Ask your actual Professor who presumably will love being respected and speak your language well and be able to see your data.
Avi