[R] Thanks to this list ....

Robert Baer rb@er @end|ng |rom @t@u@edu
Fri Jul 15 15:34:36 CEST 2022

And once again you have shown  that this list has an important side
effect of helping us to help ourselves ...  :-)

On 7/14/2022 5:20 AM, Rolf Turner wrote:
> I set out to appeal to this list for help with disentangling
> a bewildering anomaly that was produced by some dynamically loaded
> Fortran code.
>
> In composing an email to explain the nature of the anomaly, I *FINALLY*
> spotted the loony!  I had an expression in a nested do loop:
>
>      j = npro + (r-1)*nvym1 + s
>
> where r and s were the indices of two of the nested loops (explicitly
> declared to be integer at the start of the subroutine in question).
>
> When I copied the foregoing expression into the email I at last noticed
> that the variable "nvym1" *should* have been "nyvm1".  See the subtle
> difference?  :-)
>
> The variable nvym1 was never initialised, so it took on strange values
> plucked out of RAM, I guess.  Whence the anomaly.  Once I corrected that
> trivial typo, things were OK.
>
> Thanks everybody!!! :-)
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> P.S. What I can't figure out (and won't waste any time trying) is
> why the first four values of j were as they should have been, and things
> did not go to hell in a handcart until the code got to the 5th value
> of j.  I guess the computer gods were just amusing themselves at my
> expense.
>
> R. T.

Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
Professor of Physiolgy
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A.T. Still University of Heallth Sciences
800 W. Jefferson St.
Kirksville, MO 63501
P: 660-626-2322

The ATSU Mission
A.T. Still University of Health Sciences serves as a learning-centered university dedicated to preparing highly competent professionals through innovative academic programs with a commitment to continue its osteopathic heritage and focus on whole person healthcare, scholarship, community health, interprofessional education, diversity, and underserved populations.

Proud recipient of INSIGHT Into Diversity’s 2017-19 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Awards.