[R] Access to cran packages

Mon Jul 18 13:11:04 CEST 2022

On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 22:35:23 +0000
Elisabeth Slooten <liz.slooten using otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> Both computers are online, and on both of them I can see the list of
> packages here:
> https://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/bin/macosx/contrib/4.2/PACKAGES

There seems to be something wrong with R's ability to download files
from the Internet on one of your machines. Does
download.file('https://cran.stat.auckland.ac.nz/bin/macosx/contrib/4.2/PACKAGES',
'PACKAGES') provide a useful error message? Is the R version the same
on both computers? Any differences in the sessionInfo() output?
Anything suspect in .Rprofile?

Try asking at r-sig-mac using r-project.org.

> Is there a way to directly download the packages?

You can always visit the package web page (e.g.
<https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=sf>) to get the download link, and
since you're on a macOS machine, you can download the binary.
Unfortunately, it's up to you to resolve the dependencies manually.

To do that semi-manually, you can download
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/packages.rds, read it using
readRDS and feed it as the db argument to
tools::package_dependencies('sf', db, recursive = TRUE) in order to
know which packages to download.

--
Best regards,
Ivan