[R] How do I "teach" R that columns 1, 2, and 3 are the Year-Month-Day

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Wed Jun 15 03:59:50 CEST 2022

Greg,
It looks like you mean to have a data.frame containing the year as a column then Month, Day and something called Fuel.
You only made a vector called Fuel, with no name as part of it and plotted it.
So you did not expect any names, I assume.
You probably want to combine the first three columns into holding some kind of date object with something like as.Date("2021-07-25") for each row and make a vector of those. Your data.frame might then contain two columns called Date and Fuel and you might use whatever plotting method to put Fuel on the Y axis and dates on the X axis or whatever makes sense. Plotting four independent columns will not work here.
And note the NAMES go in with something like:
mydata <- data.frame(Date=dates, Fuel=Fuel)
I have not done all the work but hopefully this is helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Coats via R-help <r-help using r-project.org>
To: Greg Comcast Coats <gregcoats using me.com>
Cc: Marc Schwartz via R-help <r-help using r-project.org>
Sent: Tue, Jun 14, 2022 9:08 pm
Subject: [R] How do I "teach" R that columns 1, 2, and 3 are the Year-Month-Day

# Column 1 is the Year
# Column 2 is the Month
# Column 3 is the Day
# Column 4 is the Fuel
Fuel <- c(50.45, 61.48, 59.07, 55.40, 30.63, 41.35, 32.81, 49.86, 62.99, 89.37)
plot (Fuel)

2021  7 25  50.45
2021  8 27  61.48
2021  9 26  59.07
2021 11  4  55.40
2021 11 22  30.63
2021 11 26  41.35
2021 12  6  32.81
2022  1 14  49.86
2022  4 29  62.99
2022  6 11  89.37

How do I "teach" R that columns 1, 2, and 3 are the Year-Month-Day?
Greg Coats
    [[alternative HTML version deleted]]