[R] [EXT] result of mean(v1, v2, v3) of three real number not the same as sum(v1, v2, v3)/3

David K Stevens d@v|d@@teven@ @end|ng |rom u@u@edu
Thu May 12 21:44:22 CEST 2022

John - for both mean and sum, the numbers to be operated on need to be
in a vector. This can be done with the 'c(...)' function, which takes
the arguments (your three numbers) and concatenates them into a vector.

 > mean(c(mlagFZ1,mlagFZ2,mlagFZ3))
[1] 0.01984417

 > sum(c(mlagFZ1,mlagFZ2,mlagFZ3))/3
[1] 0.01984417

What you have done is provide the mean (and sum) functions with three
arguments. If you look at the documentation for 'mean', you have mlagFZ1
as the 'x' argument, mlagFZ2 as the 'trim' argument, and mlagFZ3 as the
'na.rm' argument, and makes no sense. With slightly different details,
the same applies to the 'sum' function.

mean {base}    R Documentation
Arithmetic Mean
Description
Generic function for the (trimmed) arithmetic mean.

Usage
mean(x, ...)

## Default S3 method:
mean(x, trim = 0, na.rm = FALSE, ...)
Arguments
An R object. Currently there are methods for numeric/logical vectors and
date, date-time and time interval objects. Complex vectors are allowed
for trim = 0, only.

trim
the fraction (0 to 0.5) of observations to be trimmed from each end of x
before the mean is computed. Values of trim outside that range are taken
as the nearest endpoint.

na.rm
a logical value indicating whether NA values should be stripped before
the computation proceeds.

--
David K Stevens, PhD,PE
Professor