[R] Restoration of "rite" package of R as R-script editor or the like

Ebert,Timothy Aaron tebert @end|ng |rom u||@edu
Wed May 25 05:41:08 CEST 2022

... but I suspect they have not had linear algebra.

Maybe trying to write with rite is not right?

Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Ebert,Timothy Aaron
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2022 11:32 PM
To: Avi Gross <avigross using verizon.net>
Cc: r-help using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R] Restoration of "rite" package of R as R-script editor or the like

[External Email]

Maybe we should ask what is the real focus? It is not realistic to take a student from "here is the power cord" to "this is a factor analysis" in one semester. If the goal is to teach statistics starting with "this is a mean" then most of that can be done with pencil and paper (maybe a calculator would be nice). A step up might be to use a spreadsheet like in OpenOffice (a free version of Excel). If the focus is on the goal rather than calculations there are free point-and-click stats packages that are available. I started looking at Past, but got sucked into R. I think there is a wide choice of free statistical software packages.

If the goal is coding, even simple coding, then RStudio may be the best choice despite initial problems. Though Excel has a macro feature where you can code in Excel. A nice thing about Excel is that you can start by "record macro" and go through a process with mouse clicks. Then look at the recorded macro, tweak it a bit and you are done. You can also write the macro from scratch if desired. There are free Basic compilers that would let you start with basic commands and build up. Some have said that you do not really understand a problem unless you have written computer code to solve it. This approach can get you to the point where you need to invert a matrix but I