[R] How to represent tree-structured values

Mon May 30 07:23:12 CEST 2022

Really this depends on the analysis you want to perform.

In the past, I have used a super/sub two-column format as a compact, non-redundant representation for data entry, and after applying a recursive algorithm to convert this to a super/sub/level/id table where _all_ sub components have (duplicative) entries corresponding to each super component.

But there is always the recursive list structure that formats such as yaml and json functions typically return.