[R] print and lapply....

Mon Nov 7 19:54:32 CET 2022

Às 18:33 de 07/11/2022, akshay kulkarni escreveu:
> Dear Rui,
>                     Actually, I am replacing a big for loop by the lapply() function, and report the progress:
>
> lapply(TP, function(i) { BODY; print(i)})
>
> Can you please adjust your solution in this light?
>
> THanking you,
> Yours sincerely,
> AKSHAY M KULKARNI
>
> Às 17:17 de 07/11/2022, akshay kulkarni escreveu:
>> Dear members,
>>                                I have the following code and output:
>>
>>> TP <- 1:4
>>> lapply(TP,function(x){print(x);x^2})
>> [1] 1
>> [1] 2
>> [1] 3
>> [1] 4
>> [[1]]
>> [1] 1
>>
>> [[2]]
>> [1] 4
>>
>> [[3]]
>> [1] 9
>>
>> [[4]]
>> [1] 16
>>
>> How do I make the print function output x along with x^2, i.e not at the beginning but before each of x^2?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance....
>>
>> THanking you,
>> Yours sincerely
>> AKSHAY M KULKARNI

> Hello,
>
> Here are two options, with ?cat and with ?message.
>

> TP <- 1:4
> lapply(TP, function(x){
>     cat("x =", x, "x^2 =", x^2, "\n")
> })
>
> lapply(TP, function(x){
>     msg <- paste("x =", x, "x^2 =", x^2)
>     message(msg)
> })
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> Rui Barradas

Hello,

What do you want the lapply loop to return? If you have a BODY doing
computations, do you want the lapply to return those values and report
the progress?

I have chosen cat or message over print because

  - cat returns invisible(NULL),
  - message returns invisible()
  - print returns a value, what it prints.

Can you adapt the code below to your use case?

TP <- 1:4
lapply(TP, function(x, verbose = TRUE){
   # BODY
   y <- rnorm(100, mean = x)