[R] print and lapply....

akshay kulkarni @k@h@y_e4 @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Tue Nov 8 15:47:21 CET 2022

Dear Rui,
                  The replies from you, Bert, Tim and solved my problem. My last question: what if I put print inside the body of the function passed on to lapply, instead of separately in the function argument of apply? Is this what you insinuated in your reply?

THanking you,
yours sincerely,
AKSHAY M KULKARNI
________________________________
From: Rui Barradas <ruipbarradas using sapo.pt>
Sent: Tuesday, November 8, 2022 2:20 AM
To: akshay kulkarni <akshay_e4 using hotmail.com>; R help Mailing list <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] print and lapply....

�s 19:22 de 07/11/2022, akshay kulkarni escreveu:
> Dear Rui,
>                   THanks for your reply...The point is the loop is a scraping code, and in your examples you have assumed that the body acts on i, the loop variable. Can you adapt your code to JUST PRINT the loop variable i ?
>
> By the by, I think I have stumbled upon the answer: The lapply() caches the result, and prints the output of the function in question  immediately after printing the final i. The i's get printed serially, as the function progresses....
>
>> lapply(1:4,function(x){print(x);Sys.sleep(x^2);x^2})
> [1] 1
> [1] 2
> [1] 3
> [1] 4
> [[1]]
> [1] 1
>
> [[2]]
> [1] 4
>
> [[3]]
> [1] 9
>
> [[4]]
> [1] 16
>
> Here x^2 's print only after 4 is printed on the console....
>
> tHanks anyways for your reply....
>
> THanking you,
> Yours sincerely,
> AKSHAY M KULKARNI
>
> �s 18:33 de 07/11/2022, akshay kulkarni escreveu:
>> Dear Rui,
>>                      Actually, I am replacing a big for loop by the lapply() function, and report the progress:
>>
>> lapply(TP, function(i) { BODY; print(i)})
>>
>> Can you please adjust your solution in this light?
>>
>> THanking you,
>> Yours sincerely,
>> AKSHAY M KULKARNI
>>
>> �s 17:17 de 07/11/2022, akshay kulkarni escreveu:
>>> Dear members,
>>>                                 I have the following code and output:

>>> [1] 1
>>> [1] 2
>>> [1] 3
>>> [1] 4
>>> [[1]]
>>> [1] 1
>>>
>>> [[2]]
>>> [1] 4
>>>
>>> [[3]]
>>> [1] 9
>>>
>>> [[4]]
>>> [1] 16
>>>
>>> How do I make the print function output x along with x^2, i.e not at the beginning but before each of x^2?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance....
>>>
>>> THanking you,
>>> Yours sincerely
>>> AKSHAY M KULKARNI
>>>
>>>          [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

>> Hello,
>>
>> Here are two options, with ?cat and with ?message.
>>

>> TP <- 1:4
>> lapply(TP, function(x){
>>      cat("x =", x, "x^2 =", x^2, "\n")
>> })
>>
>> lapply(TP, function(x){
>>      msg <- paste("x =", x, "x^2 =", x^2)
>>      message(msg)
>> })
>>

>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Rui Barradas
>>

> Hello,

> [...]
Hello,

No, the x^2 are not printed after the i's. The x^2 are the function's
return values. The function prints the i's, then returns x^2.

As for your problem, it is now more clerar.
I would write a function accepting a url to take care of scraping and
call it in the lapply loop. The progress report can be in the loop, like
below.

This is a complete working example, scraping the Wikipedia list of
countries by GDP. The urls are in a list (it's always the same, I'm not
complicating things) and in a real scraping function I would wrap
tryCatch around it, just in case.

First the function, then the urls list, then the lapply loop.

library(rvest)

scrape <- function(url) {
   page <- read_html(url)
   gdp <- page |>
     html_element(".wikitable") |>
     html_table() |>
     as.data.frame()
   names(gdp) <- unlist(gdp[1,, drop = TRUE])
   gdp <- gdp[-1,]
   row.names(gdp) <- NULL

   #return value
   gdp
}

wiki_gdp_url <-
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)"
urls_list <- list(wiki_gdp_url, wiki_gdp_url)
TP <- seq_along(urls_list)

TP
# [1] 1 2

df_list <- lapply(TP, \(i) {