[R] linux, emacs, R on iPhone/iPad

Richard M. Heiberger rmh @end|ng |rom temp|e@edu
Mon Nov 21 19:03:14 CET 2022

I discovered that the "iSH shell" is available for the iPhone/iPad from the Applications app.
this is Alpine linux
Once iSH is loaded from the App store, then open it to a shell and download

apk add emacs
apk add R

emacs works well for writing files and sending them to a bigger computer by airdrop or email etc.
This is the real Emacs, not the "Not Emacs" app.
The emacs uses a variant of the iPhone keyboard augmented with tab, control, escape, arrows keys
and allows swiping for typing.

R works sometimes in the linux shell outside emacs, but not yet from the emacs *shell*.
I haven't figures out how to download ESS.

iSH's help page for R
https://github.com/ish-app/ish/wiki/Installing-R-and-any-package-from-the-CRAN
gives a long docker-related way of getting arbitrary packages to work.

Is there interest in forming R-sig-iOS and CRAN support for an iOS binary repository?

Rich