[R] R version 4.2.1 install.packages does not work with IE proxy setting

Tue Oct 4 17:42:56 CEST 2022

On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 11:01:14 +0000
PIKAL Petr <petr.pikal using precheza.cz> wrote:

> After we installed new R version R 4.2.1 installing packages through
> IE proxy setting is compromised with warning that R could not connect
> to server (tested in vanilla R).

R 4.1 deprecated the use of download.file(method = 'wininet'). R 4.2
switched the default download method to 'libcurl' and started giving
warnings for 'wininet' and http[s]:// URLs.

A workaround to get it working right now would be to set
options(download.file.method = 'wininet') and live with the resulting
warnings while R downloads the files, but a next version of R may
remove 'wininet' support altogether.

In order to get it working with the 'libcurl' method, you'll need to
provide some environment variables to curl:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2022-September/475917.html

Not sure if libcurl would accept a patch to discover the Windows proxy
settings automatically, but I don't think it does that now.

--
Best regards,
Ivan