[R] prcomp - arbitrary direction of the returned principal components

John C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Oct 13 16:42:58 CEST 2022

This reminds me of a situation in 1975 where a large computer service bureau had
contracted to migrate scientific software from a Univac 1108 to a an IBM System 360.
They spent 3 weeks trying to get the IBM to give the same eigenvectors on a problem as the
Univac. There were at least 2 eigenvalues that were equal. They were trying to fix
something that was not broken. Their desperation was enough to offer me a very large fee
to "fix" things. However, I had a nice job, so told them to go away and read a couple of
books on the real-symmetric eigenvalue problem or singular value decomposition, though the
latter was just becoming known outside of numerical linear algebra.

I suspect the OP should go back to basics with principal components and not try to fiddle
with the output. It is likely that the "loadings" (I'm never sure of the nomenclature -- I
use the matrix setup) can be rotated, but you can't just rotate one vector of a set on its
own.

Amazing how these old issues linger for decades. Or maybe linear algebra is not on the
curriculum.

John Nash