[R] Opening shapefiles in R

Nick Wray n|ckmwr@y @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Oct 22 12:52:32 CEST 2022

Hi Micha  Thanks for your ideas which I will look into   I hadn't heard of
r-sig-geo before but I've signed up to it.  I'm a bit of beginner as far as
geospatial in R goes.  What I am ultimately trying to do is this - my PhD
research is into the relative proportions of the effects of climate change
and land use on streamflow in Scottish rivers (I'm based at Edinburgh) and
to this end I need to create a map of catchments eg the Tweed onto which I
can placing flow gauging stations/ weather stations etc .  I have catchment
outline shapefiles and the stations but finding the bit of the whole of the
UK river system shapefile which is the Tweed catchment is tricky, as the
shapefile matrix doesn't have names in it and I am trying to identify the
Tweed and its tributaries from the coordinates of its mouth sources and so
on...  that's why i need to pull out the coordinates.  Any suggestions 'd
be v welcome  Nick