[R] removing non-table lines

Mon Sep 19 00:18:36 CEST 2022

Helo,

Unfortunatelly there are many files with a non tabular data section
followed by the data. R's read.table has a skip argument:

skip
integer: the number of lines of the data file to skip before beginning
to read data.

If you do not know how many lines to skip because it's not always the
same number, here are some ideas.

Is there a pattern in the initial section? Maybe a end-of-section line
or maybe the text lines come in a specified order and a last line in
that order can be detected with a regex.

Is there a pattern in the tables' column headers? Once again a regex
might be the solution.

Is the number of initial lines variable because there are file versions?
If there are, did the versions evolve over time, a frequent case?

What you describe is not unfrequent, it's always a nuisance and error
prone but it should be solvable once patterns are found. Inspect a small
number of files with a text editor and try to find both common points
and differences. That's half way to a solution.

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas