[R] Converting a Date variable from character to Date

Admire Tarisirayi Chirume @tch|rume @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 29 18:35:46 CEST 2022

Kindly request assistance to *convert a Date variable from a character to
be recognized as a date*.
NB: kindly take note that the data is in a csv file called *inflation*. I
have included part of the file content herewith with the header for
assistance.

My data looks like this:
*Period            CPI*
2022m1         4994
2022m2         5336
2022m3         5671
2022m4         6532
2022m5         7973
2022m6        10365
2022m7        12673
2022m8        14356
2022m9        14708

 I used the following command lines.

class(inflation.2$cpi)
inflation.2$cpi <- as.numeric(as.character(inflation.2$cpi))
*format(as.Date(inflation.2$period), "%Y-%m")*

Having run the command lines above, the variable *period* in the attached
CSV file remains being read as a character variable. Kindly assist.

Thank you.

Alternative email: addtarris using icloud.com/TChirume using rbz.co.zw
Skype: admirechirume
Call: +263773369884
whatsapp: +818099861504

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 6:10 PM Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us>
wrote:

> Your attachment was stripped by the mailing list. The criteria for allowed
> attachments are a bit tricky to translate into actions to apply to your
> email software, so usually including part of your file in the body of the
> email is the most successful approach for communicating your problem. Be
> sure to use a text editor or the
>
>   readLines("filename.csv") |> head() |> dput()
>
> functions in R to extract lines of your file for inclusion in the email.
>
> On September 29, 2022 8:52:30 AM PDT, Admire Tarisirayi Chirume <
> atchirume using gmail.com> wrote:
> >I kindly request for assistance to convert a Date variable from a
> character
> >to be recognised as a date. I used the following command lines.
> >
> >inflation<-read.csv("Inflation_forecasts_1.csv")
> >attach(inflation)
> >inflation[,1:2 ] #subsetting the dataframe
> >#Renaming variables
> >inflation<- rename(inflation.df,
> >                   cpi = CPI,
> >                   year=period)
> >
> >#subsetting data April 2020 to current
> >inflation.2<-data.frame(inflation[-c(1:135),])
> >class(inflation.2$cpi)
> >inflation.2$cpi <- as.numeric(as.character(inflation.2$cpi))
> >* format(as.Date(inflation.2$period), "%Y-%m")*
> >
> >Having ran the command lines above, the variable period in the attached
> csv
> >file remains being read as a character variable. Kindly assist.
> >
> >Thank you.
>
> --

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]