[R] Deprecating download method='wininet' in R on Windows causes trouble with corporate proxy

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 30 01:27:27 CEST 2022

Is R centrally installed?  If so, environment variables 'HTTP_PROXY',
'HTTPS_PROXY', and 'HTTPS_PROXY_USER' could be set for all users by
setting them in the R_HOME/etc/Renviron.site file.  R_HOME is the
folder where R is installed.  You can find this file from within R by
calling:

> file.path(R.home("etc"), "Renviron")
[1] "C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-42~1.1/etc/Renviron"

If not centrally installed, I don't know anything better than users
setting them in their personal ~/.Renviron file;

> normalizePath("~/.Renviron")
[1] "C:\\Users\\alice\\Documents\\.Renviron"

For example,

> cat(file = "~/.Renviron", append = TRUE, "HTTP_PROXY=http://proxy-host:3128/", "HTTPS_PROXY=https://proxy-host:3128/", "HTTPS_PROXY_USER=dummy", sep = "\n")

At least this avoid having to configure them in MS Windows settings,
which is tedious to document and explain.

My $.02

Henrik