[R] Reading very large text files into R

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 30 06:07:55 CEST 2022

If I had this problem, in the old days I'd've whipped up
a tiny AWK script.  These days I might use xsv or qsv.
BUT
first I would want to know why these extra fields are
present and what they signify.  Are they good data that
happen not to be described in the documentation?  Do
they represent a defect in the generation process?  What
other discrepancies are there?  If the data *format*
cannot be fully trusted, what does that say about the
data *content*?  Do other data sets from the same source
have the same issue?  Is it possible to compare this
version of the data with an earlier version?